Monday 18 November 2019

Te Tapuwae Rongokako Marine Reserve


Me and my class went on a trip to Te Tapuwae Rongokako Marine Reserve. We got In cars and drove there . Last week we had snorkeling lessons to  prepare for next week. Anyway we got there and Joe (the guide) refreshed our minds about how to use the snorkels, and where we get changed etc. We also learnt some hand signals like if we start to drown we put our hand up and if we go underwater we do a thumbs down. Anyway we got into groups to go snorkeling with. I was with AJ (my Dad) Kobe Max, Momo and myself. So this is how it works one adult looks over 4 children and the kids have to be in arms reach with the adult. We went out to a calm spot after getting into our wetsuit so we didn't get washed around by the waves.

We put all our gear on and headed out to the marine reserve. At first the water was freezing and when I say freezing I mean FREEZING! But after a while I warmed up and our group headed straight to the rocks out the back. We got there and we saw our first living sea creature, a crayfish. I was about to grab it but then I realised I'm not out diving with my Dad I was at a marine reserve a place where it's illegal to take food home. But then my Dad said " We probably have one of the most confident groups" no offence to anyone else but it's probably true. Then I saw a kina as big as a soccer ball I almost thought I should wake up? But no, this was true I was living through this experience.

We then headed diagonally towards the shore. I heard a few screams so I came up and saw Kobe and Max screaming. To be honest I didn't really care, but now I regret not caring because if there was a shark, let's just say whoops. Anyway I looked behind me underwater and saw my Dad holding a crayfish by the back trying to scare us I didn't care because I've had prior experience with crayfish. I know crayfish can't hurt you, they may look spiky and deadly but they can't hurt. But the temtation hurt, it's like having to look at your favourite food just right there in front of you but you can't have it.

Anyway around about now Momo got cold so we had swim down to shore and drop him off. But when we were down there we all wanted a rest so we all waited until we wanted another go and this time instead of my Dad taking us Koka Rozie (Our Teacher) took us. We got out to the other remaining group and had a look around and then 4 people got cold so the other adult Joe took them in and then me and Cash took a look around and then we got out and then we left.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.