Monday 25 November 2019

Kapa Haka Festival 2019

Kapa Haka Festival 2019
Me and my school competed in the Turanganui Culutral Festival and this is what happened. So we got our moko and skirt on at school. I was getting my moko on and I had to push against the cool ink. Then we got on the buses and sang the wheels on the bus.

After arriving at the festival we went inside. We listened to Riverdale school's peformance for a few minutes and then watched Wai's peformance, Wai is basically our school's version of junior, and senior is Nui. Wai's peformance flew by and eventually it was our turn.

We left to go outside and get in our kapa haka lines, I was fourth row so I had a skirt and 1st row to second row had piupiu and fourth row and back had black shorts. For girls 1st to second row wears piupiu and 2nd row and back wears a maori dress. We got in our lines and as a big unit, we got to the stage. I wasn't nervous or anything like that, I would be if I was by myself up on stage not with 80 other kids. Our song order goes like this, Tu mai ra, Harae mai a Paoa, Ka Pioio, Puri anei, Utaina, Wainui Haka, Ka mate, Wainui e and last is E honore. We got on stage and sang Tu mai ra then it was time for Harae mai a Paoa, the song we have practiced and always failed we have only succeeded around 4-5 times. The one thing we have been failing is at the end we sing ki te tairawhiti e but the actual way is ki te tairawhiti no e. We finished it and moment of truth, someone said e all that practice for a big fail.  

We got to the the part where the boys move foward and the girls move back and then it hit me, every second row moves left so you can see them easier and I tried my hardest not to smile or anything like that. Also theres a part in the Wainui Haka where the 4th row and back stay standing and 1st 2nd and 3rd row go down. So since i'm in 4th row I'm in front the crowd staring me down, me resisting. We sang Wainui e not much to say about that then E honore then we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.